Tis the season to indulge, which way too often brings with it the holiday bulge. Follow these and you may get through this season of joy on the
1. Never go to a party on an empty stomach. While the temptation is there for many reasons, looking good in your new holiday outfit, saving calories for the holiday party treats or just no time to eat getting ready for the soiree, this is a big mistake. Holiday parties and empty stomachs can often lead to disasters: too much to eat and too much to drink are often the result. Eat normally through the day and nibble on some protein and water before you go. This will allow you to enjoy the good stuff, but in moderation.
2. Wearing tight fitting clothes to those holiday parties is another way to keep control. It is difficult to overeat when you feel your waistband closing in. On the other hand when you are wearing flowing pants designed to fit like your favorite pair of sweatpants, it is easy to get lost in all of holiday decadence.
3. Water, water, water! With all the hustle and bustle we can forget to stay hydrated, and when we do reach for something to drink, it can all too often be coffee drinks or specialty holiday drinks full of caffeine and sugar that are loaded with extra calories as well. We also will eat when we really are just dehydrated. Keep a case of bottled water in your car and whenever possible reach for water instead of your usual. Pre-party day, it is crucial to make sure you are fully hydrated – you will feel better and probably have more energy to enjoy the festivities.
4. Go back for seconds, rather than fill your plate full the first time! It is better to take a small amount of food and go back than to fill it to edge and feel obligated to belong to the “clean plate club”.
5. Be a social butterfly! Keep yourself busy and engaged in conversation at this year’s holiday gatherings. This will help keep the calories to a minimum and you will end up enjoying the party for the people and not the pate!